So a friend of mine Jessica offered to hold a quilting learning bee. I happen to have a sewing machine that I got for high school graduation but have never used (other than Austin’s foray into tailoring). I think I shall call her baby Olga after my Baba. I have lots of t-shirts I can’t bear to part with. Quilting + Learning – Whole T-Shirts = T-shirt Quilt or EXCELLENT!
First project is just piecing together some scraps. This is how Jessica taught me.
- Iron your fabric.
- Cut out pieces of fabric, squaring off and leaving a 1/4″ margin on all sides for seams.
- Sew these together being wary of straightness of stitch and tension. You can sew large strips together and then cut these to make your squares! Very handy tip.
- Lay out/plan your pattern (though you probably already had this in mind).
- Sew these pieces together keeping in mind that the seams are going the same way (ironing helps ascertain a set seam flappy direction).
- Sew together these blocks in bits. Combining these bits to make bigger bits.
- OILA! You have the front of an oddly Hogwartish Wall Hanging front. Still have to edge this off and put backing and all that fun stuff.
Next project I’m thinking a jersey/nerdy themed scarf, like this but scarfy. Need to get used to jersey for my big t-shirt quilt! Or I shall make a throw for my mask room. Mondrian style!
sew… – S