So just a quick(ish) entry about a place you should check out if you planning a wedding. Especially if you are planning on building your own centerpieces. So if you have one near you, try Ikea.
I know Ikea is not a new phenomenon but you might not look there first to “furnish” your wedding. I actually got this idea a while ago from Ruffled. After visiting the store I realized how many other potential wedding applications there were. Too bad I already decided on my centerpieces!
- Maybe not sturdy but cheap. And for one night of use that’s fine.
- You can peruse their selection online and search to see if your local Ikea has that item. Perhaps even hundreds of them… You most likely won’t have to worry about not having enough if you find what you want in the store nearby. They have bins I tells ya! Bins!
- Simple in style so you could always go crazy and still “customize” it/stencil it. Also often the selection comes in the latest “hip” colors.
- Many of these purchases you could just use in your house afterwards!
- Navigating the store. It’s best to just following the long long long winding path until you get to your “section”. Do not freak out there will be an end to the path and if you haven’t noticed related items and have been walking for a while, its okay, just keep on walking. Nina had to tell me to do this several times… its overwhelming.
- Might not have one near you. Can’t order online for many of the items but you can call in and order. If you call in though they charge a pretty hefty phone order fee ($20!) and expensive shipping.
A Smattering of Ideas
Here are a few options I found:
I actually bought this $.99 option for my table menus. Double sided, cheap and simple. Holds a 4″x6″ and has Plexiglas to protect the photo or menu.
$.99 cent easel that holds a 4″x6″ picture frame (you can get a pack of three for $1.99) or perhaps your menu on card stock? My friend is using these for her Van Gogh inspired wedding.
Reception seats a bit stiff? Rather then decorate with sashes and a back cover, what about a utilitarian but summery cushion? At $2.99 it’s pretty affordable! You could then encourage people to take them home with them. Or have a cushion room in your future love nest… for frolicking like Scrouge Mc Duck.
Same idea as above but white and only $1.49. This could easily be dyed or stenciled with your logo.
Okay, this is straight up awesome for your own house… A pack of 10 honeycomb interlocking mirrors for $14.99 or $1.50ish each. But imagine keeping them separate or only bunching a few together and using them as mirrors underneath your centerpieces. Ah Haaa….
This is a little more expensive but for $9.99 you can buy this seven picture movie themed picture frame. It hangs and could either “frame” your bridal table or hang over each of your guests tables with pictures of you guys. Especially great for a movie/hollywood/picture themed wedding.
Science themed? Spice it up some flowers you could get at the local farmers market and colored water for your centerpieces. Or fill several with jelly beans (once color per carafe). $7.99.
$2.99 – Fill it with sand and put it on its side, fill it with candy, put tiny flowers inside. Swig beer in it. Send a message of love to commemorate the day to a far off land after saying your vows on the beach (or a pirate ship).
$24.99 including pot. $14.99 without. And you could instead go for a cheaper pot option. Like this. Or this. Sure these plants look like butts! But they are unique… and you could have a whole butt army of them after the wedding. Plus its green to buy reusable flowers/plants. I’m not sure if all Ikeas have these but they had them in Orlando.
For $6.99 a cheaper option and less buttish.
Simplistic and pretty unique! Only $1.99! Put punch in here or an orchid. Ikea sells orchids for $12.99. Perfect for an outside/classic white wedding.
Interlocking vases for $1.99 each. Not sure if it comes in a three pack for that… if not then its $6 for the set. Still affordable and pretty. Get six and they form a nifty circle. Or if you and your hubby have curvy initials (C, S, J…) you could spell them out in vases. Fill it with candy or flowers or sand. Comes in pink shades! I could probably show a million cute vases by Ikea… but I instead encourage you to look around their site.
Colored sand/rocks for $1.99. I suspect you can do this cheaper, if not with white sand and dye. But if you aren’t so DIY this means in one trip you could get the vase, sand and candles all in one fell swoop.
No Ikea near you? These options can be awesome… Just go to their home decor section. Probably won’t be as “one stop shop”ish though.
- T.J. Maxx – got me some awesome beachy reeds here on the cheap.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond – They always have coupons and they always honor them even if they are expired.
- Bealls – Florida only.
- Goodwill – Help out a charity and if you are lucky find a good selection. This takes more scrounging but especially if you are looking for a mismatched bohemian style this might be the perfect option for you.
- Target – I’ll refrain from suggesting Walmart as well… But there are some fun cheap options at both of these places.
So happy shopping!
Breathe Deep Seek Deals – S
P.S. While you are at it buy a box to organize/hold your wedding DIY stuff. Stress Level–. Get a set of two and use it as well to separate what you need for the ceremony and what you need for the reception.